As you get ready to welcome a new member to your family, cluttered living areas can become a real problem. Whether or not this is your first child, finding the space to dedicate to little ones can prove to be a challenge, especially if your home is lacking storage space or extra rooms.
A great solution to help you instantly free up some space for your growing family is self-storage. Unlike traditional long-term domestic storage, self-storage offers the flexibility needed to store all your belongings safely while still giving you access to them whenever needed. The units available come in all sizes, suitable for any situation. Self-storage company Vanguard, have been slowly expanding not only their portfolio of locations – they have units in London, Bristol and Manchester – but also the array of unit sizes the offer. You can use their storage unit size guide to work out what size unit you will need, as they range from compact 10 sq ft lockers to large 150 sq ft units!
The perks of self-storage for a growing family
Change can be scary and getting ready to welcome a tiny new member to your family will require a lot of time, energies and organisation.
Renting out a self-storage unit can help you stay on top of things while you adapt your home to your growing family. To avoid feeling overwhelmed and unprepared, having a to do list of things that need doing before the arrival of your new baby will help you stay focused.
Here is how self-storage can help you adapt your home to your growing family:
- Make space for the new baby. While this might seem like an obvious one, as you start moving furniture around to free up space, you might find yourself struggling to create enough room to accommodate everything you need for your baby. Ideally, a nursery should have enough space for a crib or bassinet, a changing table, a wardrobe or cabinet and a rocking chair or glider to make overnight feeding a little less tiring. These are just the essentials, add to that the multitude of toys and games you will receive from family and friends, and you’ll soon realise that space can get tight pretty quickly.
- Babyproof your home. Spare pieces of furniture you may have stacked up inside a room and sports equipment might have to be cleared away when the baby comes. While you won’t technically need to babyproof your home until your baby starts walking – or even crawling – it would be wise to be prepared so that, when the time comes and the baby is ready to explore, you won’t need to deal with the stress of having to move furniture around. Putting your bulky furniture and sports gear in a self-storage unit will make your home a lot safer for your baby and you’ll still be able to access everything whenever you need it!
- Safely store away your pre-baby clothes. It might be stressful but it’s worth thinking about it – at some point along the pregnancy, you won’t be able to fit in your normal clothes anymore. Although seeing your body change might take some getting used to, you’ll fall in love with maternity wear in no time at all, as this will accompany you throughout the most magical time of your life! You don’t need to say goodbye to all your pre-baby clothes, simply sort through them and neatly store them away in plastic containers, ready to be used as soon as you’re ready.
- Declutter your spaces. As a new parent, you’ll have plenty to deal with when the baby comes, so the last thing you need is a cluttered home. Take time to go through your belongings before you’re due to give birth and consider doing a thorough Spring-clean to get you ready for the months ahead. Getting rid of clutter can be a satisfying activity to perform and the added perk of it is it will facilitate your cleaning routine once the baby comes.
- Think about the future. If there are more babies in your future plans, then it’s wise to save all the furniture and accessories you bought for your baby so that you can use it again. According to The Independent, parents spend on average £853 to decorate their baby’s nursery so saving everything and using it twice would half the costs for you. Self-storage is ideal in this situation, allowing you to clear out your nursery until you’re ready to welcome a new baby into your family.
So, whether you’re looking for a way to prepare your home for the arrival of your new baby or you want a clutter-free home to create a more relaxing and peaceful space for your new family, a self-storage unit is a great investment to help you stay on top of everything.
Domestic self-storage can help you adapt your home to your growing family slowly and gradually, taking away some of the stress that will inevitably come with this big transformation you will go through as a family.